Editorial Assistant Job Description
March 1 – June 30, 2021 (4 months with the option to extend or transition to full-time)
The Black Wall Street Times is a news publication that plans to gradually increase its national presence this year. With the support of benevolent Tulsans and national partners, we have hit the ground running since January. 2021 will be a monumental year for our publication as well as for the City of Tulsa due to the Centennial Commemoration of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre. For that reason, we are in search of top tier talent to help in the coming months with the possibility of joining the team full-time in July.
The Editorial Assistant will work directly with the Editor-in-Chief and Associate Editors. As we approach the May-June Commemoration and our 2021 marketing plan, The Black Wall Street Times will become one of the Nation’s most searched publications. Our ideal Editorial Assistant is goal-oriented and a self-starter. They have a strong understanding of Black American issues, and believe in equity and inclusion.
- Manages a schedule for the Editor-in-Chief by maintaining an organized calendar.
- Assistant will be cc’d on most emails involving the Editor-in-Chief to ensure that nothing slips through the cracks and important messages are responded to in a timely manner.
- Attends all meetings with the Editor-in-Chief unless otherwise notified.
- Respect the confidentiality and privacy of all information.
- Assists in the management and organization of Google Drive.
- Makes sure staff and contractors are meeting their deadlines.
- Assists in the coordination, planning, and execution of any store operations and events.
- Conducts research for content, partnerships, and other opportunities for the business.
- Reads leading Black publications like The Root, The Grio, Ebony, and stays up to date on current events in mainstream media.
- Attend events on behalf of the organization or the Editor-in-Chief.
- Assists with email newsletter updates through Mailchimp.
- Assist customers and guests in our store with various needs.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Management experience
- Strong verbal communication and organizational skills
- Professional and community-focused
- Can deliver under tight deadlines
- Highly organized
- Proficient in Google Drive
- Understanding of WordPress CMS
- Experience with Mailchimp
- Enthusiastic team player
- Ability to multitask multiple projects simultaneously
- Start date: March 1, 2021 (or sooner)
- End date: June 30, 2021 (option to extend or transition to full-time)
- 20 hours per week
- Available to attend and assist with events on occasion
- $15/hour, paid on the 15th and 30th of each month.
- Contractor is responsible for tracking and submitting their hours.
Email your resume to Associate Editor email@example.com by Friday, February 19, 2021, at 11:59 PM.
The Black Wall Street Times is an equal opportunity employer.