Listen to this article here
By Hannibal B. Johnson
The simple things matter. Keep these tips in mind as you seek to maintain positive, affirming relationships, both personally and professionally.
1. Be authentic. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
2. Be less inclined to give advice and more inclined to seek it.
3. Give people the benefit of the doubt.
4. Identify a positive quality in your adversary or nemesis. No one is one-dimensional.
5. Remember to say “please” and “thank you.”
6. Share the compliments and credit you receive. No one does it alone.
7. Keep your promises.
8. When things go wrong, resist the blame game. Fix the system, not the people.
9. Show interest in the interests of others.
10. Acknowledge your mistakes.
11. Expand your circle (socially and in decision-making).
12. Go low-tech, high-touch when possible (e.g., personal visits and phone calls instead of e-mails and texts, especially in dealing with conflicts or sensitive matters).