Listen to this article here
El Centro: Empowering the migrant community
What is El Centro?
While the focus is on offering programs and services to assist immigrants principally from Latin America, all people regardless of nation of origin and legal status are welcome to join, become members and participate in the activities at El Centro.
Beyond working as a service provider, El Centro seeks to develop a space for learning and community organizing where community members bring solutions, ideas, plans and strategies to tackle personal, work-related and community obstacles. The key to their work is to actively engage in social responsibility and empowerment.
Moreover, El Centro offers pro-bono legal consultations through a partnership with the Tulsa Immigrant Resource Center at University of Tulsa, as well as a range of workshops and learning opportunities including adult literacy, digital literacy classes, Know-Your-Rights, workplace workshops, and other programming.
El Centro embraces a membership model, with an objective to create a sense of belonging and community modeled after solidarity efforts in Latinx/Latin American experiences.
Organization plans for growth
The duties of the new hire would be to:
- Assist Executive Director in day-to-day operations of El Centro;
- Manage the bilingual (mostly Spanish) hotline, offer referrals, and troubleshoot as needed;
- Community organizing, including helping facilitate workshops and listening sessions;
- Coordinate programming & developing registration for people;
- Manage database and data entry;
- Manage donor follow-up with thank you letters and phone calls, as well as help oversee grant requirements and grant metrics;
- Personal vehicle for transportation to meetings & appointments throughout the metro;
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicants are expected to submit the following with their application:
- Letter of interest
- List the names of three references with phone numbers
- Sample of spreadsheet you have developed (optional)
- Sample/photograph of other project you have designed or helped facilitate (optional)
Allegro said El Centro plans to have its grand opening in September, and the deadline to apply for the assistant position is August 15. The listed salary includes $35,000 and two weeks paid vacation. The start date is September 1.