TULSA, Okla. — Dr. Corinice Wilson’s campaign says it will return $500 to former state Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre after The Black Wall Street Times questioned the campaign about contributions that appeared to exceed Oklahoma’s individual contribution limit ahead of Tulsa’s Aug. 25 City Council District 1 election.
McIntyre’s $4,000 contribution draws questions from BWST
McIntyre contributed $4,000 through six donations between May 20 and Aug. 6, according to an amended campaign-finance report reviewed by BWST.
All six contributions were made before the Aug. 25 election. Oklahoma’s 2026 individual contribution limit is $3,500 per election, putting McIntyre’s cumulative contributions $500 above the limit.

Wilson’s amended filing, submitted Aug. 17, reported the full $4,000 and did not show a refund. The following afternoon, BWST sent Wilson’s campaign questions about the contributions, including whether it had returned or forfeited any portion of McIntyre’s Aug. 6 contribution.
At 8:29 p.m. EDT Tuesday, after BWST’s 2:51 p.m. EDT inquiry, the campaign acknowledged the excess in a written response via email and posted it on its Facebook page at 8:37 p.m. EDT — before this story was published.
The chronology is significant because BWST identified the apparent excess while reviewing Wilson’s amended filing and raised the issue with the campaign before the campaign acknowledged the $500 overage.
“Senator Judy Eason McIntyre’s contributions were reported as individual contributions,” the campaign said. “Her contributions exceeded the applicable individual contribution limit by $500, and the campaign is returning that $500 overage. The allowable portion remains reported as an individual contribution.”
The response establishes that the campaign considers $3,500 of McIntyre’s contributions allowable and the remaining $500 an overage that must be returned.
BWST has not independently verified that the $500 has been returned. The campaign did not say in the response when the refund was or will be issued or when it will appear in the public campaign-finance record.
There is no evidence establishing that BWST’s inquiry caused the campaign to return the money.
BWST agreed to give Wilson’s campaign additional time
BWST had been seeking responses from Wilson’s campaign about McIntyre’s contributions, incomplete contributor records and North Tulsa For Change PAC.
At 1:49 p.m. Tuesday, BWST emailed Wilson’s team after learning Wilson had professional responsibilities at Tulsa Community College and offered additional time to respond.

“I don’t mind holding off until I get a response,” BWST Editor-in-Chief Nehemiah Frank wrote.
At 2:13 p.m., Diamond Blaylock-Norris responded on behalf of Wilson and requested more time, explaining that Wilson would need to respond after 6 p.m. because of her professional responsibilities. Blaylock-Norris asked BWST to send all outstanding questions in a single email thread.
BWST agreed.
At 2:51 p.m., BWST sent the consolidated questions.

Among them was a direct question about McIntyre’s Aug. 6 contribution:
“Did the campaign return or forfeit any portion of McIntyre’s Aug. 6 contribution? If so, when and where will that appear in the public filing?”
The campaign’s written response acknowledging the $500 overage arrived at 8:29 p.m.
Wilson campaign also published BWST questions on Facebook
Wilson’s campaign also took some of BWST’s questions directly to the public.
In a post on the “Dr. Corinice Wilson for District 1: C3 Movement” Facebook page, the campaign wrote:
“There have been questions about our campaign, so we’re answering them directly. Here are Dr. Wilson’s responses to questions from The Black Wall Street Times.”
A campaign graphic accompanying the post stated that it was sharing its responses “in the spirit of transparency” because “the community deserves to know where we stand.”

The post primarily addressed BWST’s questions concerning North Tulsa For Change PAC, including whether Wilson or anyone acting on her behalf participated in creating the PAC, whether her campaign communicated with it and whether the campaign received monetary or in-kind contributions from it.
The campaign’s decision to publish the questions came after BWST had agreed to extend its deadline to allow Wilson’s team additional time to respond.
The campaign later provided its responses directly to BWST.
McIntyre remains Wilson’s largest donor
McIntyre’s contributions make her Wilson’s largest individual donor.
Wilson’s amended report lists $19,318 in contributions through Aug. 10 and $12,962.99 in expenditures, leaving an ending balance of $6,355.01.
Before the announced $500 refund, McIntyre’s $4,000 represented approximately 20.7% of all money Wilson reported raising.
McIntyre contributed more than any other person, including Wilson herself. The candidate contributed $2,500 to her own campaign on June 1.
Excluding Wilson’s self-funding, Kara Ryan Johnson was the campaign’s second-largest outside donor at $1,025. Lisa Mogelnicki and Julian Wilson each contributed $1,000.
Excess contribution does not automatically establish a violation for campaign
The appearance of an excessive contribution in a campaign-finance filing does not, by itself, establish a violation.
Oklahoma Ethics Commission Rule 2.21 provides committees time to return a contribution before it is deemed accepted.
That distinction is important in this case.
McIntyre’s final $1,000 contribution was dated Aug. 6. The amended campaign report was submitted Aug. 17 and showed no refund. Based on those dates, the filing appeared to have been submitted before the applicable return period expired.
For that reason, BWST initially treated the $500 as an apparent excess and sought an explanation from Wilson’s campaign rather than concluding that Wilson or McIntyre had violated Oklahoma campaign-finance rules.
Judy Eason McIntyre’s opposition to Hall-Harper dates back years

McIntyre’s financial support for Wilson comes amid a years-long history of publicly opposing Wilson’s opponent, incumbent Councilor Vanessa Hall-Harper.
In January 2019, McIntyre filed an ethics complaint against Hall-Harper amid a dispute involving the Greenwood Chamber of Commerce and the Black Wall Street Chamber of Commerce.
McIntyre’s public criticism of Hall-Harper has continued into the 2026 election.
In recent Facebook posts reviewed by BWST, McIntyre has repeatedly urged District 1 voters to remove Hall-Harper from office.
“It’s time for a CHANGE in district 1 city council leadership,” McIntyre wrote in one post, followed by: “Vote Vanessa Hall Harper OUT August 25th.”

Another post accused Hall-Harper of offering “smoke-screen political rhetoric” and questioned whether Black-owned businesses in District 1 would participate in a redevelopment project Hall-Harper promoted.
In another post about a District 1 candidate event Hall-Harper did not attend, McIntyre wrote that Hall-Harper had refused to participate because she believed McIntyre would be biased. McIntyre again urged voters to “Vote Vanessa Hall Harper OUT August 25th.”
McIntyre has also shared content criticizing Hall-Harper’s relationship with the Black Wall Street Chamber of Commerce and questioning her record as a community advocate.

The posts establish that McIntyre’s opposition to Hall-Harper did not end with the 2019 ethics complaint and has continued publicly during the current election in which McIntyre contributed $4,000 to Hall-Harper’s challenger.
BWST asked Wilson whether she knew about McIntyre’s previous ethics complaint against Hall-Harper.
The campaign said she did.
“Yes. Dr. Wilson was aware of Senator McIntyre’s previous ethics complaint involving Councilor Hall-Harper,” the campaign responded.
Wilson’s campaign sought to separate that history from the current race.
“That matter predates this campaign and was between the parties involved and the appropriate ethics process. It has no role in Dr. Wilson’s campaign.”
There is no established evidence that McIntyre’s history of opposition to Hall-Harper motivated her financial support for Wilson. However, the longstanding political relationship provides additional context for voters evaluating McIntyre’s position as Wilson’s largest donor.
At least 28 donor records contain ‘INFO REQUESTED’
The $500 overage was not the only issue BWST identified while reviewing Wilson’s amended filing.
At least 28 named contributors, representing $4,788 in contributions, have entries containing “INFO REQUESTED” instead of a complete street address, occupation, and employer information.
Most of those entries list Tulsa and the 74106 ZIP code despite lacking a street address.

Without complete addresses, BWST cannot independently determine whether those contributors live within City Council District 1.
The filing separately shows at least $1,500 through seven contributions carrying addresses outside Tulsa, including Broken Arrow, Edmond, Jenks and Owasso, Oklahoma, and Jefferson City, Missouri.
Campaign contributions from people outside a candidate’s district are legal.
BWST asked Wilson’s campaign why the amended filing contains so many “INFO REQUESTED” entries, when the campaign requested the missing information, whether it intends to amend the report again before the election and how many contributors it has verified as District 1 residents.
Those questions remain relevant to determining the geographic composition of Wilson’s donor base.
Wilson campaign denies coordinating with North Tulsa For Change PAC
BWST also questioned Wilson’s campaign about North Tulsa For Change PAC, a newly formed political committee with personnel connections to Wilson’s campaign.
The Oklahoma Ethics Commission previously told BWST that overlapping personnel between a candidate committee and PAC do not automatically establish coordination. However, the commission said overlapping personnel could jeopardize whether an expenditure is truly independent if coordination occurs.

Wilson’s campaign denied that Wilson participated in creating or registering North Tulsa For Change PAC.
“No. Dr. Wilson did not participate in creating or registering North Tulsa for Change PAC, nor did she authorize anyone to do so on her behalf,” the campaign said.
The response acknowledged that Wilson’s campaign manager, Sharmien Watkins, and Signee House Bland registered the PAC.
The campaign said they did so “in their separate capacities, not on behalf of Dr. Wilson or her campaign.”
Wilson’s campaign also denied communicating or coordinating with the PAC about political activities.
“The campaign has not communicated or coordinated with North Tulsa for Change PAC regarding its activities, strategy, advertising, voter contact, expenditures, or other PAC activity,” the campaign said.
At the same time, the campaign acknowledged that Watkins’ roles mean Wilson’s campaign communicates with her.
“Sharmien Watkins serves as Dr. Wilson’s campaign manager, so the campaign necessarily communicates with her in that capacity,” the response states.
The campaign said those communications should not be conflated with communications involving North Tulsa For Change PAC.
Wilson’s campaign also said it has received no monetary or in-kind contributions from the PAC.
Wilson campaign won’t commit to voluntary PAC disclosure
BWST also asked whether Wilson supports North Tulsa For Change PAC voluntarily disclosing its donors and expenditures before Aug. 25 or November if the committee becomes financially active.
Wilson’s campaign stopped short of supporting such a commitment.
“North Tulsa For Change PAC is a separate political committee responsible for its own reporting and disclosure decisions,” the campaign responded.
“Dr. Wilson’s campaign will continue to comply with the disclosure requirements applicable to our committee. We are not in a position to make commitments on behalf of another political committee.”
Dr. Corinice Wilson for District 1: C3 Movement
The response establishes the campaign’s position that disclosure decisions belong to the PAC.
It does not answer the broader question of whether Wilson personally believes the PAC should voluntarily identify its financial backers before District 1 voters cast their ballots on August 25 or in November, should there be a runoff.
What remains unanswered
The campaign’s response resolves one major question raised by Wilson’s amended filing: it acknowledges that Judy Eason McIntyre’s contributions exceeded the applicable individual contribution limit by $500 and says the campaign is returning the money.
But several issues remain unresolved or require independent verification.
BWST has not yet verified when the $500 was returned, whether the refund has been completed or when it will appear in a public filing.
Questions also remain about the incomplete information associated with at least 28 named contributors, when the campaign first requested that information, whether another amended report will be filed before Aug. 25 and how many contributors have been verified as District 1 residents.
BWST is also awaiting or seeking additional information concerning the final disposition of McIntyre’s 2019 ethics complaint against Hall-Harper.
And while Wilson’s campaign has denied coordinating with North Tulsa For Change PAC, the PAC’s donors and expenditures could remain unknown before the election depending on whether and when its activity triggers Oklahoma’s reporting requirements.
BWST will continue reviewing public campaign-finance records and responses from the candidates and the Oklahoma Ethics Commission as they become available.
Tulsa voters will decide the District 1 race on Aug. 25, if the election doesn’t extend into November.
