Listen to this article here
Sign-Up for a free subscription to The Black Wall Street Times‘ daily newsletter, Black Editors’ Edition (BEE) – our curated news selections & opinions by us for you.
The “North Tulsa Voter Turnout Initiative” is a one year community initiative to increase voter registration, education and participation leading up to the November 6th 2018 general election in five North Tulsa Zip Codes (74126, 74130, 74110, 74106 and 74127). The NTCC Discrimination & Justice task-force is serving as a convener working to unite individual civic minded groups in the target zip codes to increase overall voter participation by at least 10% in the upcoming general election.
Since 2002 North Tulsa District 1 has averaged 19,165 voters with only 21% of registered voters on average turnout to actually vote.
NTCC will formalize strategic partnerships with community partners and other organizations registering voters in North Tulsa Zip codes, 74126, 74130, 74110, 74106 and 74127 to collectively work as an organized group to register voters in the target zip codes and get voters to the polls November 6th, 2018.
The voter teams will develop a time line (see the draft below – process section) and action plan (to be developed by the team) to increase voter registration and voter turnout in the target zip codes.
December 2017 – May 2018: Initial Planning and Infrastructure Development
On-going Action items:
• Identify partner organizations (Steering Committee & Volunteers)
• Identify 100 potential locations to register voters (looking for registration hot spots in North Tulsa) locations with large numbers of potential unregistered voters.
• Connect with all North Tulsa faith based congregations.
• (Greg Robinson) Develop registration training curriculum – to register voters in an effective way
• Develop tentative budget – for events and volunteer readiness supplies (paper, water, tables, tents, entry fees, early vote events, food and marketing)
June 1st – August 31st: Weekly Summer Registration Community Campaigns
Identify and participate in local summer events to organize registration campaigns, consistent weekly events to distribute and collect voter registration forms. On-going voter registration training and capacity building – two weekly summer registration drives in the community per group.
• Groups will set up tables throughout North Tulsa every weekend.
Sept 1st – Oct 10th: Hard Push Registration Community Campaigns
Labor Day weekend, Tulsa State Fair, Back to School Events, Etc.
• Stop Registering Voters: Wednesday, October 10th 2018 collect and deliver registrations to the election board.
• Last day to register to vote: Friday, October 12th 2018
• Heavy Canvassing Oct 15th – Oct 28
Reconnect with all registered voters (personal phone calls), invite the group to host events, make a plan to vote with registered voters, generate excitement in the community.
• Early Voting Events / Community Group Host (Fish fry’s, cookouts): Sunday, Oct 29, 2018 – November 3, 2018 at or near early vote sites
• Early voting: Thursday, Nov. 1, 8 AM – 6 PM; Friday, Nov. 2, 8 AM – 6 PM; Saturday, Nov. 3, 9 AM – 2 PM
• Election Day: Tuesday, November 6th 2018 8 am – 6 pm
• League of Women – Souls to the Polls: Community Wide Event
For more information about the North Tulsa Voter Turnout Initiative