Listen to this article here
Sign-Up for a free subscription to The Black Wall Street Times‘ daily newsletter, Black Editors’ Edition (BEE) – our curated news selections & opinions by us for you.
Rev. T Sheri Amore Dickerson Director of Black Lives Matter Oklahoma Chapter speaks at press conference in Oklahoma City. Sunday, June 1, 2020.
Published 06/01/2020 | Reading Time 2 min 56 sec
OKLAHOMA CITY — In light of recent events of police violence and escalation and out of concern for all people, the Black Lives Matter Oklahoma City Chapter — on behalf of Oklahoma City’s Black community and all Oklahomans of moral conscience — held a press conference to issue the following demands to city leaders responsible for the crisis at hand in Oklahoma City.
The OKC Chapter addressed further actions to take place in the event that their demands are not met.
The Chapter Demands:
- An apology from Police Chief Wade Gourley and Mayor David Holt and the immediate resignation of Gourley, whose lack of leadership resulted in aggressive actions by the police towards peaceful protesters, escalating tensions and resulting in violence that could have been avoided.
- The immediate-release without charges of all incarcerated protesters who were arrested for nonviolent offenses or ‘resisting arrest’ while defending themselves and or their loved ones from unlawful use of excessive force by OKCPD and the sheriff department.
- Disciplinary action and termination be taken against all police officers who violently attacked peaceful protesters.
- The immediate installation of an independent citizens’ complaint review board for the OKCPD, which will have the authority to review all complaints, including use-of-force, and the discipline of offending officers.
- Mayor Holt meet with us within 24 hours.
- Provision of training in de-escalation tactics for all OKCPD officers, which must include training in interactions with persons who have mental health issues as well as training that includes cultural sensitivity.
- The immediate public release of the arrest record of Olain Jefferson, Jr. and bodycam footage of all police-involved in his arrest.
- The immediate public release of all video footage of the OKCPD incident involving and resulting in the death of Derrick Ollie Sr.
- The arrest and prosecution of David Stewart for the kidnapping and illegal confinement of Mr. Travis Miller Sr.
- Justice for the family of Mr. Elray Barber who was shot and killed by OKCPD on Christmas Eve 2019.
- Justice for Ms. Rolana Keeler, who was shot by OKCPD on Christmas Eve 2019 while unarmed.
- Mayor Holt commit to the construction of a grocery store on the Eastside of OKC to be completed within 6-months.
- The granting of clemency and immediate release of a wrongfully-charged member of our community, Julius Jones, by Governor Stitt.