Listen to this article here
Tulsa, Okla. — In celebration of Black History Month, the 19&21 retail space at Mother Road Market is offering newly curated merchandise of local Black-owned brands. The merchandise reflects the creative and entrepreneurial impact of Tulsa’s Black artists and makers.
“Beyond sharing an important moment in our City’s history, I have seen this brand serve as an inspiration for others to follow and pursue their purpose,” said Trey Thaxton, owner of 19&21. “I’m a firm believer that the richest place in the world is the graveyard, and if I can inspire someone to pursue their own passion and purpose, I will be fulfilling mine.”
Featured products include:
- Greenwood Ave. – Tulsa-based clothing company celebrating black entrepreneurship around the world.
- SubtleHome & Co – Eco-friendly aromatherapy solutions for those with sensitivities or who are seeking a clean and vegan 100% soy wax candle.
- Fulton Street Books & coffee – Popular local bookstore and cafe committed to stories, narratives and lived experiences of people of color and marginalized communities.
- JanaeJavan – Sustainable lifestyle brand featuring minimalist handcrafted home accessories.
- Albert’s Barbecue – Gourmet barbecue sauce developed from a favorite family recipe.
- Toasted Wine & Fruit Spreads – Delicious fruit spreads made with all natural ingredients.
The shop is also planning a Greenwood Ave giveaway on social media, and 19&21 will continue to donate 10 percent of its proceeds to Justice for Greenwood.
A brand with a mission
19&21 was created by Thaxton to celebrate black excellence. In addition to its popular clothing brand, Greenwood Ave, the company launched a web series aiming to inspire the next generation of creators around the world. The shop 19&21 gets its moniker from the horrific events that took place 100 years ago and honors the legacy that began in the early 1900s. 1921 signifies the year that people attempted to destroy the spirit of Black Wall Street, but failed.
Visitors can shop the collection at Mother Road Market on Tuesday – Sunday from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
About 19&21 and Greenwood Ave.
19&21 is about celebrating black excellence, featuring its flagship brand, Greenwood Ave. Created by Goldmill Co. in 2018, it was birthed as a need to honor a far too often hidden piece